Tuesday, January 12, 2010

From Susan Hong-Sammons, Chicago...


"Living with Chicago weather greatly effects my subject matter. I paint mostly from life, from direct observation so anything I see is a potential subject matter. I prefer not to paint in my studio and venture out of doors but during the winter this time can become greatly reduced because of the cold. This past fall I had two experiences that curbed my plein air (painting outdoors) appetite, one was a bunch of yahoos shooting a gun near me. But the snow is falling in thick flakes and I've new arctic boots so I'm ready to hit the streets of Chicago and cafes once again."

2 comments:

  1. You're a brave one! The cold and the gun shots. The show is awesome. I believe my favorite is "Suspended Animation". It is quite marvelous. cheers! peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much.
    And I don't know if I'm brave or just insane. But when the temperature drops the cold air takes on a crystally silvery look. You can't get it in any other weather. So fun to paint it.

    ReplyDelete